Tricks and Tips for Marble maintenance
Learn the 8 best Tips and Tricks for the cleaning and maintenance of marble to retain its beauty and softness.
Here are some Tricks and Tips on cleaning and maintaining marble :
- Do not use abrasives : As marble has a soft surface, it is likely to scratch easily. Abrasive cleansers can scratch the surface and ruin the appearance of the marble.
- For food stains : Dip the end of a clean and soft cloth in counter peroxide and rub the area of stain. This will remove all or most of the stain marks from the surface of the marble. If the stain is stubborn, you might have to do a bit of rubbing to remove the stain.
- For oil- based stains : An oil- based stain tend to darken marble and should be chemically dissolved to rinse away the source of the stain. You may use mild household detergent, acetone or mineral spirits for cleaning.
- For organic stain : Organic substances like tea, coffee, wine, fruit, tobacco, urine, bird droppings, tend to cause a pinkish brown stain. It may disappear after the source of the stain is removed. If the stain is outdoors, rain and sun will naturally bleach out the stain with time, while if it is indoors, clean with 12% hydrogen peroxide and a few drops of ammonia.
- Do not use vinegar : Vinegar is an acid and will etch the surface of the material. Vinegar and abrasive cleansers will have the same adverse effect on marble.
- For general cleaning : Mop the floor every day or on alternate days with lukewarm water. By lukewarm, I mean tepid, neither hot nor cold. Dip your cloth into the tepid water and wring off the excess. Clean a relatively smaller area of the floor and wipe dry with another soft cloth. Continue with another area until the entire floor is done. If you want to use detergents, use very mild and gentle ones. Do not use too much of it or use it too often.
- Use a sealer : You may use a sealer to protect the flooring after it is cleaned. It will help prevent stains and make it easier to clean. You can purchase a sealer from any hardware store.
- Use a coat of wax : You can use a light coat of wax on the floor surface to protect it, bit is not essential. Use colorless wax. Do not use it over white marble as it yellows it.